Thursday, November 15, 2007

My Assessment Of The Republican Candidates

I would like to take this opportunity to give you my assessment of how each of the five top Republican candidates compare(in my mind). Which, I may add, is a scary place.

Not in any specific order. You already know who I support. If not, just look to the left side of your screen.

Rudy Giuliani:

He did a good job with 911. I like the fact that he would be tough on the war. Although not any more so than most of the Republicans. One of Rudy's favorite talking points is the job he did with crime in New York. I can respect that. He added a bunch of cops that really helped slow the crime rates in a city that had an awful reputation for being dangerous. Those are the good.

One thing he did to help with the reduction of NY's crime rate was gun control. This did nothing to slow the crime rate. I can support no person that is for gun control. He tried to smooth this over by saying that NY should have different gun laws than the rest of the country because it is NY. The last time I checked NY is in the USA. That means they are governed by the same Constitution as the rest of us, even us hillbillies. Then there is his liberal views on practically everything else: abortion, gay marriage, etc...

It has come out in the past few weeks that he bent the rules quite a bit while he was prosecuting crime. I am all for putting criminals behind bars, but legally and ethically.

I do not see putting a guy that has almost the same views as the leading Democratic candidates up front in the Republican party.

I don't think Rudy would be able to beat Hillary or Obama. To many defectors would stay at the house next November.

Mitt Romney:

Mitt seems to be a pretty sound conservative. At least on the surface. He has leadership experience and is a successful business man.

I think he has flopped on way too many issues. He has really played up his time as governor of one of the most liberal states in the US, with health care that is real close to the plan Hillary has laid out. I don't know what it is but I just can't bring myself to trust the man.

I think he would give Hillary or Obama a run for their money.

John McCain:

He is one of the most socially conservative candidates in the race. You can't help but like his humor and respect what he has done for this country.

As much as I do like about John I will not be able to forgive him for what he put us through with immigration. He has a quick temper and I don't think that is a good quality for the President of the US. Another thing we have not heard about with John is campaign finance. Sure we have heard that Fred supported it, but John's name is on it.

He could run neck and neck with the Democrats. I think he is a little weaker than Romney against them though.

Mike Huckabee:

A social Conservatives dream. He is a likable guy and presents himself well.

He has some major problems with his positions on big government and taxes. I think a lot of people, including myself are just getting to know him.

I am still a little up in the air as to his chances to win. I will hold off on my opinion right now. More on Mike in the following weeks.

Fred Thompson:

Fred is not the most conservative person in the race. He supported campaign finance at the time. He has since admitted that to be a mistake. But he is the all around best candidate the Republicans have.

I know, I know he is lazy right. BS! You can not accomplish all this man has and be lazy. What does it say about a candidate when after 6 to 8 months of scrutiny by numerous presidential campaigns this is what you here about? Well over half the negative stuff you hear about him is this "he's lazy" crap.

He can beat Hillary and Obama.

1 comment:

bubby1962 said...

Very good! Only one thing, Rudy has more anti's than just guns. He's got some pro's I have problems with too.