Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What Did We Learn From The D.C. v. Heller Case?

A.W.R. Hawkins has an interesting analysis:

The more news coverage of the Supreme Court’s “historic” decision upholding the Second Amendment I saw the more depressed I became. Though I’m grateful for the way the decision fell, I could not help being appalled by the fact that only 5 out of 9 justices now believe that the Constitution is constitutional. In short, the United States is only one liberal Supreme Court justice away from being judicially transformed into France.

...the American people as a whole are ignorant of natural law, the writings of our Founding Fathers, and the Constitution itself. Educators at every level have sought to keep students from being exposed to any mention of America’s gun heritage. As a result, one rarely can come across a college student who has really read the Second Amendment, or Benjamin Franklin’s check on unlimited democracy: “Democracy is two wolves and lamb voting on what to eat for lunch, liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote,” or George Washington’s simple assertion that “A free people ought to be armed.” Such isolation from America’s history and heritage makes it possible for Leftist news outlets to run headlines which state the obvious yet sound groundbreaking to so many.


Emphasis is mine.

I would like to ask for your opinion on this quote from Justice Stevens:

Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the justices who voted for the individual right interpretation “would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons.”


I don't know about you, but I am pretty sure the founders of this country would take offense at this statement. Especially since they had just completed the act of using weapons against their former government to establish this fine country.

The most disturbing line of the article:

Yet the magnitude of this issue persuades me that I have not said enough, and that I even understated the seriousness of this matter in my opening paragraph when I indicated that only 5 out 9 justices now believe the Constitution to be constitutional.


Amen!

No comments: