Wednesday, September 12, 2007

General Petraeus, A Man Among Children

That would be a better name for what just happened in the Senate hearings the last two days.

Via the New York Times:

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. of Delaware wanted to know if Gen. David H. Petraeus would recommend next March, even if the situation in Iraq did not change, that as many as 160,000 American troops continue to be “shot at, killed and maimed” every day.

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York observed that the general’s report on Iraq required “the willing suspension of disbelief.”

Senator Barack Obama of Illinois asked angrily, “At what point do we say, enough?”

I must admit I did not get a chance to watch much of the testimony. What I did watch was disgraceful. The Democrats (who all voted to put the General in place) ran him in the ground. They would not even let the man talk. Each time General Petraeus would start to speak he was interrupted and talked down to. I was expecting him to stand up and walk out or start raising hell. He did not, what he did was keep his composure and do what he came to do. For that he should be respected.

One thing I would like to address was Senator Biden's closing. I can not quote it exactly but he was whining about the long day, and expressed concern as to the General being able to grab a sandwich. I would just like to let him know that, judging by General Petraeus' record as well as the ribbons on his chest, I don't think this was the hardest thing he has ever had to do.

Hillbilly White Trash has a good post up about this here.

No comments: